Home button  


The following information has been collected and compiled from various sources. Whilst I have tried to ensure that the information is accurate, I cannot guarantee that every item is 100%.

The links on the names of the churches jump to photographs of the building - hit your browser "BACK" button to return to this page.

The Parish Church Other Anglican Churches Baptists Chapels Miscellaneous Churches (Congregational etc.)
Wesleyan Chapels Methodist Churches Catholic Church

All Saints Parish Church, Sedgley

Rev T G Swindell
The Parish Church of Sedgley has its history dating back to Norman times and the names of the Clergy are known since 1184. The present church was rebuilt in 1829 in the Gothic design, the foundation stone was laid on the 9th September 1826.

The church has three roofs which cover the central nave and two side isles. Its present tower (containing a peel of eight bells) contains within it an earlier tower. It has a capacity to seat 1309 people. At the opening ceremony in 1829 the organ which had been installed during the rebuilding was first used, it had originally been in Westminster Abbey and had been used during the coronation of the then reigning monarch (George IV).

The parish was later divided into five ecclesiastical districts, Sedgley, Lower Gornal, Upper Gornal, Ettingshall, and Coseley, with churches built to serve the latter three districts. (see below).

Electricity was installed in the church during the ministry of Thomas Greenall Swindell DD. Vicar of the Parish from 1888-1929. (photo left)

On his gravestone he's said to have served 41 years in Sedgley. The last edition of All Saints' guidebook says he arrived in 1888. His successor, Harold Marley, arrived in 1930, it says. There was probably an interregnum of some months - which is normal.

All Saints Church website

See also January 1896 copy of Parish Magazine listing numerous members of the Choir and Committees (Kindly supplied by Janice Hughes)

Top of Page Button

Other Anglican Churches

Church and Location

Date of Building

Cost of construction

St James the Great, Lower Gornal

1815 - 1823 and enlarge in 1837

Financed by public subscription. Viscount Dudley being a generous contributor with a gift of land and building amounting to an annual income of £15. The church was opened for worship in 1817 but not consecrated until 1823. It seated 600 people. This consisted of private pews for 297 contributors and 303 free seats.
It was refitted in 1849 when a chancel was added, with stained glass windows, and "the whole fabric greatly improved and beautified."
Transcription of Burials 1823 - 18xx

St Paul's Church, Lower Gornal


At the Five Ways a group who had broken away from what they termed were the "ritualist practices" of St James' Church (see above) set up their church in a malthouse (brewery). They subsequently built a new building.
St Paul's Church website

Christchurch, Coseley (with St Cuthbert's)


Cost £9557, 7 shillings and 1 penny.
Built as a chapel of ease for Lower Sedgley (Coseley).
The cost was partly obtained from subscriptions in the Parish and partly from Parliamentry Commissioners.
It can seat 1999 persons including 768 pews and 1231 free sittings.
The foundation stone was layed on 9th August 1827 on land given by John William, Viscount of Dudley and the church was consecrated on 27th August 1830.
The first baptism was on the 27th August 1830 for Charles, son of George and Mary BANNISTER of Ettingshall.
The first burial was of Mary MARTIN on the 12th December 1830.
The first wedding was between John PHILLIPS and Annie LAWTON on the 22nd October 1837. The church wasn't registered for marriages until 1837.

See also Christ Church Homepage

Holy Trinity Church, Ettingshall


Built after a Cholera epidemic in 1832. The foundation stone was laid in May 1834 and the church opened in 1835

St Peter's, Upper Gornal


£2388. Foundation stone laid by William, Lord Ward (Viscount Dudley) on 27th March 1838 being the day his Lordship attained his majority (ie. 21 years of age). And in the first year of the reign of Queen Victoria.
Designed by R.Ebbles, built using local stone. A decade later a chancel was added with which featured a memorial window to Rev.S.F.Montgomery, who was Vicar from 1842 to 1847. The building features two polygonal turrets at the front which are influenced by King's College Chapel.
A National School was opened on the site of the existing Church Hall on 31st December 1866, it closed in 1910 and was finally demolished in 1935 to make way for the new Church Hall.
The Alter was built by William George YATES and was dedicated to his eldest daughter Winifred Eva(1913-37) wife of James Henry PERRY.
The Vicar's pew is dedicated to William George Yates, People's Warden from 1931 until 1946.(my Maternal Grandfather).

Miscellaneous Information
List of Vicars and Assistant Priests since 1842
Foundation Stone laying details

St Mary's, Hurst Hill


The parish was formed on Dec. 16, 1873, from the civil parish of Sedgley; the church was built at a cost of about £4,000 and consecrated in 1872, is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave and aisles.

Church Website
Photo of War Memorial (1914-18 War) Dedication
Photo of War Memorial (1914-18 War) Names A-L
Note: The first name (Thomas Addiss - incorrectly spelled !!!) is my Maternal Grandmother's brother. Missing in Action at the Battle of Bapaume (Flanders) 23 March 1918.
Photo of War Memorial (1914-18 War) Names M-W
Story of the War Memorial at St Mary's, Hurst Hill

St Chad's, West Coseley


£3850. The Earl of Dudley gave both the land a significant donation. The Foundation stone was laid on St. Chad’s Day 2nd March 1882.
See also St Chad's WWII Memorial and St Chad's Church Website

St Barnabas' Mission Chapel, Gospel End

1846 The Mission church of St Barnabas in Gospel End. This church was built during the Anglican expansion. It has now been converted to a private residence.

St Martin's, Bradley


£6000, A local benefactor William Baldwin, left £8000 in his will to build the church and provide schools for the poor people of Bradley. The church spire was a famous landmark in the area until the church was sadly demolished in the late 1970s due to the condition of the building and the ever declining congregation.

There were church mission halls at Upper Ettingshall, Ladymoor and at West Coseley (at the latter there was a day school)

Top of Page Button

Catholic - St Chad's and All Saints

Not to be confused with the Anglican parish church also called All Saints! The first Roman Catholic church was built in 1789. The current one was erected in 1823 and was consecrated in 1891.

Top of Page Button

The Baptist Churches

Church and Location

Date of Building

Cost of Construction/Comments

Darkhouse Baptist


Actually situated in Dark Lane, hence the rather macabre name History of Darkhouse Baptist Chapel

Providence Baptist

1809, rebuilt 1871

History of Providence Baptist Chapel

See Interior photo

Coppice Strict & Particular Baptist


The site of Coppice Church which includes a graveyard is a total of 473 square yards was bought for a cost of £9. The Sunday School was built in 1875 at a cost of £250-300. It is the oldest standing religious building in the Manor that has not undergone change.
See Interior photo
History of Coppice Baptist Chapel
See also Coppice Baptist Church Homepage

Ebeneezer Baptist



Jew's Lane Baptist



Robert Street Baptist


Was an offshoot of Ruiton Chapel when members broke away after a disagreement with the Minister.

Rehaboth Baptist



The Hope Chapel


The Hope Chapel, in Arcal Street, Sedgley, has a Strict Baptist congregation that was founded by Joseph Field  as a breakaway from a congregation at the Rehaboth Chapel, Upper Gornal.  At Arcal Street they built a "tin tabernacle" in 1927 and this survived until 1982 when it was demolished to make way for the modern building that stands on the site today.
Joseph Field was pastor until his death in 1939. His son, Joseph Edward Field then took over and was pastor until 1979. His son, David Field is now pastor at Coppice Baptist Church - which is almost visible from "Hope"!
The present pastor at "hope" is Rev Ray Oakley - only the chapel's third pastor since its construction. Although the present chapel has a brick built entrance, the main structure of the chapel is pre-fabricated using concrete blocks, therefore continuing the architectural traditions established by its predecessor! It currently has a congregation of about twenty who are very comfortable in their modern chapel.

(Information very kindly supplied by Ned Williams. See for a list of Ned's excellent local history books at Uralia Press)

Moden Hill Strict and Particular Baptist


The Moden Hill Strict and Particular Baptists in the Ridgeway, Sedgely also have chapel that is remarkable for the modesty of its design. It was built in the 1930s and is of wooden construction. It has a small congregation, and seems lovingly cared-for. No more historical details available.

(Information very kindly supplied by Ned Williams. See for a list of Ned's excellent local history books at Uralia Press)

Top of PAge Button

Wesleyan Churches

Church and Location

Date of Building

Cost of Construction/Comments

Cann Lane Chapel, Hurst Hill

1798, rebuilt 1864

John Wesley(1703-1791) preached here when he visited the area in 1761 and such was the gathering that he spoke from under the facade at the front of the building. This facade was later built on to the front of Mr. Dunton's house, he was Headmaster of Hurst Hill School, he lived in Clifton Street. The first Chapel was built in 1798 but mining subsidence soon made the building unsafe and so it was demolished. The present day building was completed in 1864.

Upper Gornal, Kent Street


Demolished together with Mount Zion New Connexion Methodists in 1970 to be replaced by the Upper Gornal Methodist Church


1834, rebuilt 1849

The Clock tower was removed in the 1920s for fear of subsidence, it was replaced by a tiny wooden bell tower. The whole building was demolished in the early 1960s.

Bradley Wesleyan Chapel


The Wesleyan Church in Hall Green Street opened in July 1835, enlarged in 1882 but in July 1901 suffered a strike by lightening which caused considerable damage. The church was rebuilt during 1902.

Fir Street, Gospel End Chapel


Situated in Fir Street, Gospel End. Was used in the 1930s as a Strict Baptist Chapel by the Caddick family of Clifton Street, Hurst Hill, was originally Wesleyan before the Caddicks.

The chapel was also named on a map dated 1938 as the "Galeed Baptist Chapel." (thanks to Derek Thomas of Penn for this information)

Sedgley, Bilston Street


Once known as Lane's Chapel because of the strong influence of the Lane family.

Coseley, Roseville

The first stone was laid 4 October 1852 and the building was opened 17 July 1853.

Replaced a nearby earlier Chapel in Mamble Square that was subject to subsidence

Sunday School attendance was 300-400!
Builder T Cox Tipton

Original Trustees:
Thomas Morris Tipton
Thomas Cox Tipton
John Male Tipton
Joseph Stanton Snr Bloomfield
Thomas Meanly Coseley
Thomas Jeavons Mamble Sq. Coseley
Samuel Groucutt Coseley
Daniel Groucutt Coseley
Joseph Baker Wallbrook, Coseley
Edward Hipkins Bloomfield
John Twist Tipton
Joseph Webb West Bromwich
Joseph Dicken Coseley
Elijah Nicklin Bloomfield
Enoch Percival Coseley
1871 to 1881 W Hawkins Snr and John Hickman were stewards.
1880 Chapel keepers house was built


1848-49, rebuilt ?

Date unknown, the foundation stone was stolen! The first church was built in 1873-4 but it soon became unsafe due to mining subsidence and water within the foundations. It demolished for safety reasons. The foundation stone of the new building was dated 7th April 1903, but the first service was held on the 11th June 1903 (an elapsed time of only 3 months) so dates are suspect or the first service was held before the church was completed.





Coseley, Unitarian Church

Built in 1717, enlarged in 1740, rebuilt 1875

Deeds of the property are dated 28th August 1722.

Coseley Old Meeting Houses originally Presbyterian but eventually became Unitarian. When Joseph Eccleshall was ejected from the Vicargae of Sedgeley (sic) in 1662 (he was deposed due to his refusal to sign the Act of Uniformity), he became the first minister to this congregation, until his death. It is said that so many people attended his funeral service in 1692 that the floor gave way and sank into the cellar- no one seriously injured!

The society met at a house at "Old End" Sedgley, but this was wrecked in the Sacheverell riots (see below) and the new chapel built in 1717, John Peach registered as minister that year. Then merged with the "New Meeting". The chapel was again replaced in 1874.

Notes taken from the preface to the register in the "Non Conformist Registers of the Parish of Sedgeley, including Coseley"

Above information supplied by Wendy Doyle.

1709-10: The Sacheverell controversy. In December 1709, the Tory cleric Henry Sacheverell preached a sermon at St Paul's Cathedral attacking the Revolution Settlement. The Whigs declared the sermon a seditious libel, and the House of Lords impeached him. On March 1, 1710 London was convulsed by extensive rioting as crowds demonstrated in Sacheverell's favour. However, perhaps because of the pressure of the riots, his punishment was relatively mild (he was forbidden to preach for 3 years). Once his penalty had expired, the Queen rewarded him with a rich London living.
(Thanks to Christine Slimm for this information).

Top of Page Button

Methodist Churches

Methodists became a general term after 1934 when a reunion was created out of The Wesleyan Methodists (original Methodists), and their break aways Primitive Methodist, New Connexional Methodists, United Methodists and the Cornish Bible Christians. The heading Wesleyan seems to have been used to cover some of the other distinctive "brands" like Baptist and Congregational where the only collective definition, if not distinguishing the individual denominations, could be Non Conformist. (Information from Trevor Genge February 2000)

Church and Location

Date of Building

Cost of Construction/Comments

Lower Gornal, Lake Street


Known as the "Ranters", were given encouragement from the Darlaston (Staffordshire) circuit and began meeting in cottages in 1820-21. In 1926 a new building was built across the road from the old chapel.

Upper Ettingshall


The area was locally known as Sodom. (Don't know why) See article published in the Black Country Bugle late September 2000 concerning the 150 Anniversary of the Chapel.



See extract from "The Primitive Methodist Magazine - January 1852"

Sedgley, Tipton Street


Primitive Methodist Chapel and Sunday.school. built 1857; Sunday school added in 1881.
Underwent extensive alterations in 1912 and again in 1929 before being reroofed and refloored in 1931 at a cost of £751. The building was unique amongst Methodist Chapels as it had several stained glass windows which we dedicated to past church goers and benefactors. The organ was installed in 1906.

Tipton Street was sold from the circuit in about 2005 and is no longer a worshiping church.  The building is still there and has been converted to offices.

Daisy Bank



Sedgley, Congregational Church, Bilston Street


Cost £2000 in 1857. High Street Methodist and Bilston Street Congregationalists formed St.Andrew's Methodist/United Reform Church in 1970.

Bradley Methodist Church, Hall Green Street, Bradley


Bradley Methodist Church Homepage

Evangelistic Mission Hall, Cross Street, Bradley



Sedgley, High Street Methodist


High Street Methodist and Bilston Street Congregationalists formed St.Andrew's Methodist/United Reform Church in 1970

Coseley, Wallbrook Methodist


It was also know as Ebeneezer (a name normally associated with a Coseley Baptist church)

Upper Gornal, Mount Zion New Connexion Methodist


Demolished together with Kent Street Wesleyan Church in 1970 to be replaced by the Upper Gornal Methodist Church

Gornal Wood, Himley Road


The opening service and dedication of the church was held on December 6th 1895. Now known now as Himley Road Methodist Church.
Original Trustees were John Shaw, William & Thomas Asbury, John Jones, Joel Griffiths, Aaron Wakelem, Samuel J. Collins, William Southall, Benjamin & Francis Evans, Richard Blackham, Isaac Marsh, Matthew Raybould, Joseph E. Buxton, John P. Baker, Abel Marson, Robert Share and Joshua Hickman.
Himley Road Methodist Homepage

Lower Gornal, Zoar Street New Connexion Methodist


Situated at the Five Ways in Lower Gornal. Was inexistence by 1841, although they may have first met in a barn on the site.

Woodsetton (Mount Tabor Methodist New Connexion)


Mount Tabor was closed in 1999.

See details of War Memorial and Church


1810, rebuilt 1882

Cost £1400. Locally know as "Under the Hill" Now a Methodist Chapel.
Front view of Chapel
Another front view of Chapel
Rear view of Chapel - showing Sunday School building.
Church Centenary information

Due to be demolished in early 2008

Photographs and Centenary information kindly supplied by Jean Langdell of Tividale, West Midlands

Miscellaneous Churches

Church and Location

Date of Building

Cost of Construction/Comments

Ruiton Street, Upper Gornal

Original Chapel built in 1777, Enlarged in 1804. Present building 1830

Known mostly as Congregational, was at one time known as Upper Gornal Independent., then United Reformed Church(URC). Ruiton have now seceeded from the URC and is back as Ruiton Congregational.

It can trace its origins to a break away from the Parish church in the mid eighteenth century. Greatly influenced by the Underhill family.The first Minister was Gornal man John Underhill.

See ROLLASON Christenings from this Chapel (Kindly supplied by Keith Poole)

An early 19th Century pastor,Theodosius Theodosius tried to take the chapel back into the established church but failed and with the help of the Earl of Dudley set up St James' in Lower Gornal.

By 1782 Ruiton Chapel had opened a Sunday school and a day Infants school followed in 1827

Top of Page Button

Search the whole Sedgley site